Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 2014 20:29:28 +0000 (UTC)
From:      John Case <case@SDF.ORG>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Did /nonexistent go away in FreeBSD 9 ?

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014, Arthur Chance wrote:

>> I also have securelevel=2 ...
>>
>> So, did something change with /nonexistent in FreeBSD 9, or does
>> securelevel=2 screw this up somehow ??
>
> The entire point about /nonexistent is that it is nonexistent.

The problem was the securelevel=2.

If you have securelevel=2 set, the username for an ssh tunnel cannot log
in and set up the tunnel with a shell of /nonexistent.

I have no idea why - ssh tunnel failed with a message taht the home
directory did not exist ... which is correct, since it shouldn't exist.

I removed the securelevel setting and it worked perfectly (the ssh
tunnel).

I have no idea why the securelevel setting would cause this...

Any ideas ?  I would actually like to set securelevel=2, but I also need
my ssh tunnel to work ...