Date:      Thu, 29 May 2008 14:00:22 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Aaron Holmes <aaron@aaronholmes.net>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Delaying mount of UFS filesystem in ZFS pool

--ep0oHQY+/Gbo/zt0

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:04:56PM -0700, Aaron Holmes wrote:
> I have a UFS filesystem inside a zpool:
> tank on /tank (zfs, local)
> /dev/zvol/tank/ufs on /mnt/ufs (ufs, local, acls)
>=20
> If I add that entry (/dev/zvol/tank/ufs) to /etc/fstab, it will try to=20
> mount as a critical filesystem on boot, however, because ZFS hasn't yet=
=20
> loaded, this fails and causes all sorts of fun for me.
> Currently I have that filesystem mounting via a cronjob that checks=20
> every minute if it's mounted.. definitely not ideal.
>=20
> I need this filesystem in /etc/fstab so I can setup quotas on it (if=20
> there is some other way to get quotas working, great, point me to a link=
=20
> or two).
>=20
> So what I'm thinking for a solution is to delay the mount of this=20
> filesystem until ZFS has loaded, but I'm not sure of a way to do this=20
> with the filesystem in /etc/fstab, and without extensive hacking to one=
=20
> or more rc scripts.
>=20
> Ideas?

Adding 'late' flag in "Options" section to the fstab entry may help,
although I don't think it will help with quotas:

	# rcorder /etc/rc.d/*
	[...]
	/etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal
	[...]
	/etc/rc.d/zfs
	[...]
	/etc/rc.d/mountcritremote
	[...]
	/etc/rc.d/quota
	[...]
	/etc/rc.d/mountlate
	[...]

We might consider running rc.d/quota after rc.d/mountlate, not sure if
it won't break something else. I added freebsd-rc@ to CC.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--ep0oHQY+/Gbo/zt0