Date:      Thu, 28 Oct 1999 12:48:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   stupidfs - easily extensible test file systems?

I'm in the process of hacking up a stupidfs -- i.e., a minimal file system
module that provides simplistic (i.e., stupid) implementations of all the
relevant vnops and vfsops based on in-kernel memory.  The purpose of
stupidfs is to allow file system extension developers (like myself) to be
able to add new vnops and implement them in a simple file system without
having to deal initially with the issue of permenant storage in the file
stores, distributed file systems, etc.  It would be a poor-man's MFS
(although perhaps more useful than MFS because it doesn't have the weight
of UFS/FFS tangled up in it, which is what has stopped me from using MFS
to do the same kind of testing), with it only really being useful for this
testing purpose.

However, as this will take a little bit to write, I thought I'd ask if
anyone else has done this already? :-)

Right now I pretty much have it to the point where I can see the directory
structure, create files of up to 1k, etc, etc, but there's a fair amount
more to do before it's useful.  Those people working on ACLs and MACs for
POSIX.1e have needed a test framework that doesn't involve seriously
hurting themselves on the sharp edges of FFS and MFS, but that still
allows them to actually see the results in a file system.  Layering would
be another option [if only it worked].  And even with layering, there are
still complications in implementation -- more complicated, than saying
"gee, let's extend the inode to have *this* structure in it" and just
having it work as it backs to nothing and isn't tangled up in the idea of
backing to something (e.g., MFS).

  Robert N M Watson