Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:42:31 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        <carlos@rjstech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG, owner-freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A epiphany of sorts

You might be able to simplify your rules by setting up a VPN tunnel with
IPSec.  Here is a simple step by step.
http://www.freeBSDdiary.org/ipsec-tunnel.php

"Carlos Andrade" <carlos@rjstech.com>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
06/08/2001 10:21 AM
Please respond to carlos

        To:     <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
        cc:
        Subject:        A epiphany of sorts

I have been working on our company's firewall for some time and I have
been
helped quite a bit from the wonderful people on this list.  I had a
epiphany
of sorts today.  Due to the way our office is networked to our other sales
offices I want to redo our firewall rules.

(background)
our_network : will be put behind the firewall, natd will be running so I
may
have to have nat rules somewhere for directing requests to the correct
machine.

midland_office : a sales office behind a DSL router, machines are dhcp'ing
to the net.

abilene_office : a sales office behind a DSL router, machines are dhcp'ing
to the net.

(theoretical rule set)
allow everything from our_network out
allow everything? from our midland_office in
allow everything? from our abilene_office in
pass tcp from any to our outside_interface 80 setup (access web servers)
and then our thin client (which we use to connect to a app server from the
offices and sometimes from the road) :
                 TCP/IP port 1494 (inbound)
                 UDP port 1604 (inbound and outbound)
                 Outbound ports 1023 and above for both TCP/IP & UDP
deny the rest

(commentary)
we have no mail or dns servers, all that is done by our ISP.  So there is
very little traffic wanting to come into our network, so I can let those
things in.  I hope that I can just allow in the IP's of the DSL routers
since the machines behind it pass through it over DHCP, or am I loony and
need to read up more on DHCP?  Yes, I know I must have a huge measure of
trust to allow everything from our offices.  I do.  I am just trying to
add
to the layers of security by dictating exactly where people can access us
from and by how.

thanks in advance,
 Carlos Andrade
----