Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2001 21:51:05 -0600
From:      Chris Tusa <webmaster@oswars.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS & NIS interaction issue.

Hi ya'll,

I'm currently running 5 machines with 4.2-stable. I am attempting to
consoloidate the home directories on a single machine. I've read the
handbook, and searched the internet for FAQs and TUTORIALS but have had
no results except confusion. The machines are all sharing via NFS
exports. When I create a new user account via 'adduser' on the
NIS master, I set the home directory to be on an NFS mount located at
'/mnt/nfs/home' when adduser attempts to create the directory, it gives
a CHOWN error. I have determined that it is because the userid does not
exist on the NFS server hosting the home share. The NFS server is
configured as an NIS client. So how can I configure NFS for NIS
permissions? I also use QMAIL and want it to distribute EMAIL via the
NFS share. Any suggestions, or links would be helpful.

Cordially,
Chris Tusa
webmaster@oswars.net