Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:42:27 -0500
From:      SNFettig <lists@stevenfettig.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Clock adjustment?

On 4/28/2002 6:45, "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:

> What is the correct procedure for adjusting the PC clock? One of my PC's
> loses about 120s per week which is being corrected by ntpdate. I would
> like to tune the clock if possible instead.
>
> I've checked the handbook and FAQ but I couldn't find anything relevant
> :(
>
> I believe you used to be able to run adjkerntz with an option which
> would change the time added to the clock per tick but not longer.

The way that I have set this up is by following the cheat-sheet from Dan
O'Connor (http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/ntp.html)*.  Over time I
have made tweaks from other howto areas on the net, but this is pretty much
it:

* Edit /etc/rc.conf:

### Network Time Services options: ###
xntpd_enable="YES"
xntpd_program="ntpd"
xntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid"

* Create /etc/ntp.conf:

server time.nist.gov prefer
server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

* Reboot the computer, or start the daemon manually:

# ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid

I would take a look at man ntpd to make sure you don't want to change any
other settings.  I find that this works great with all the servers I deal
with - FreeBSD 4.3 and up.  I would also take a look at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ntp.html
This is basically what Dan suggests, but goes into more detail.

-Steve

* Dan makes the disclaimer that some of the information on his site may be
out of date - but, free information is to be taken for what it is worth ;) .
I thank him for putting things back up online again...