Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 12:44:56 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the sound/ directory

Narvi:
 |2) Is full-duplex supported on some cards (esp. the sb16/32)? If no, is
 |anybody out there working/interested in it?

     With the current FreeBSD drivers, full-duplex PCM isn't supported for
SB16 and other PCM-compatible cards (e.g. SB32, AWE32, AWE64, etc.)

     I've got a SB32 and occasionally do some internet voice, so I'd sure
be interested and would help test if someone got to working on full-duplex
for SB16 cards.

     From what I read a while back, to do full duplex with these cards, you
have to do something like 8-bit in one direction and 16-bit the other.
Hannu termed this too ugly to support, so it didn't materialize in the
original Voxware drivers.  More than likely, it just didn't fit the driver
model he had in mind at the time.

     Amancio, just a thought to shelve for the future.  When you get
switched onto the sound driver rework later this year, it'd be cool if the
new device model supported this capability.  I.e. ioctls to set separate
sample formats for PCM play and record for a single sound device (/dev
entry), or the ability to wire the PCM input and output to separate sound
devices.

     Now what'd be really nifty is to just toss the many dsp* devices that
are there now, create one, add 3 ioctls (query the supported input and
output formats, set the input format, and set the output format), and then
just let the app chose its favorite input and output formats.  Admittedly,
this ignores Voxware/TASD/OSS/--whatever compatibility, which is definitely
important, but in a virtual world, it'd be nice. :-)

Randall