Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 2014 12:43:32 -0500
From:      Andre Goree <andre@drenet.net>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Issue with swap file

On 12/04/2014 12:11 pm, Arthur Chance wrote:
> On 04/12/2014 16:52, Andre Goree wrote:

>>> Okay, that means mdconfig can attach the file to an md device. That
>>> eliminates my next guess, which was that md support wasn't working
>>> for
>>> some reason (such as not being in your kernel configuration).
>>>
>>> The only difference I can see is the unit number, which I forgot to
>>> include in the command. Maybe if you try
>>>      mdconfig -a -t vnode -n -f /usr/swap -u 99
>>> that will fail with an informative error message. If that doesn't
>>> help,
>>> I'm baffled.
>>
>> Progress perhaps being made.
>>
>> agoree@fbsd10-atl ~ % sudo mdconfig -a -t vnode -n -f /usr/swap0 -u 99
>> mdconfig: ioctl(/dev/mdctl): Device busy
>> agoree@fbsd10-atl ~ % swapinfo
>> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
>> agoree@fbsd10-atl ~ %
>>
>> Wtf? This is the newly created file too...
>>

> Have you tried "mdconfig -l" to see what existing md devs there are?
> Device busy often means "we've got one already".

Figured a reboot might help...it did not :/

1 agoree@fbsd10-atl ~ % sudo swapon -a
swapon: md99 on /usr/swap0: Device already in use
agoree@fbsd10-atl ~ % sudo mdconfig -l
md99
agoree@fbsd10-atl ~ % sudo swapinfo
Device          512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
agoree@fbsd10-atl ~ %

Lol wtf...is it possible that it's actually in use, but just not
reporting it via the 'swap*' commands?  FWIW, it does not show in top
either.

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net