Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 01:15:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sten <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   164SX Hardware notes

Just some things I figured out while
playing with my 164SX-533mhz.

Ide :
the onboard ide stinks ( max 6-8mb ), get a promise
card ( 20mb hardware max ). Be aware that udma66 cable
may cause problems, an udma33 cable helped.

Scsi :
There is quite a lot of confusion regarding bootable scsi adaptors.
I did some tests with the latest firmware ( 5.8 ) leading to the
following conclusions.
Adaptec 2924uw works, anything beyond that ( 2924u2, 29160 ) isn't
recognised. LSI/Symbios 895 works. Although you might want to
play with camcontrol to properly set u2 speed ( or find a pc
somewhere to properly config it ). Which makes the lsi the only
easily available bootable u2 adaptor. Note that I have only
tested a card that I got second hand which claims to be a
genuine lsi, you're on your own with tekram/clones.

Memory :
The board is capable of handling 1024mb of ram ( as opposed to 512mb ).
I have 4x 256mb ecc in mine. Regular pc133 dimms. I wouldn't bet
on 512mb dimms though. And your luck with 256mb dimms may have
something to do with the amount of chips per module ( don't blame
me if it doesn't work for you ).

Nics :
Beware of dual port nic's with pci bridge chips.
I got one that really kills my alpha ( openboot errors and
fbsd kernel crashes during boot ).

Might be useful info for hardware.txt :)

--
Sten Spans

  "What does one do with ones money,
   when there is no more empty rackspace ?"