Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:23:26 +0200
From:      Thomas Pornin <pornin@bolet.org>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: AXPpci33 <-> Sparc sun4c  serial cable

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 11:52:32PM +0200, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > was connected. A simple null-modem cable worked (those cables sold as
> > "doom-cable", with a DB9 and a DB25 at each end). I tried the same
> > setting on my current Alpha machine, and it did not work.
>
> What do you mean with did not work?

No I/O on the VT220: no output on the screen, and nothing I typed
went to the machine. I used a VGA card (S3 Trio64V+) and a standard
PS/2 keyboard, and this worked. I tried several combinations and the
behaviour (with or without keyboard) was much similar to what I could
get with the Multia, except that the VT remained blank. I tried a "set
console serial", to no avail.

I cannot do much testing now, since the box is my firewall/primary
DNS/mail server, and I gave the VT220 to somebody else.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers. When I get the IPC (hopefully in
two or three weeks) I will try this out.

	--Thomas Pornin