Date:      Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:22:21 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: lapic@2k interrukts eating CPU cycles

--nextPart1284742.Bg3I3n372W

Am Dienstag, 21. Juni 2005 21:39 schrieb John Baldwin:
> On Thursday 09 June 2005 08:23 am, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recognized that doing a "make clean" in a simple ports takes minutes
> > to finish, so I saw that "systat -vm" shows me about 80% system usage
> > during that. But even if it's finished lapic keeps generating 2000
> > interrupts/sec and consuming 25% CPU usage when the machine is doning
> > nothing. Any hints what I could do? I have never seen lapic before, I
> > just did a fresh 6-snapshot (june) install and upgraded to yesterdays
> > -current. Please find attached my kernel conf, although this time I
> > use ULE the sluggish "make clean" behaviour was also with 4.2BSD (but
> > I haven't looked after the CPU usage)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Harry
>
> I haven't seen the clock interrupts eat up 25% CPU on my systems.  Can
> you capture the output of 'top -S' when your system is idle?

It's not exactly reproducable since I have multiple oddities with ULE and=20
KDE. I also saw 2k lapic irqs/s with 98% idle, so it's probably not a=20
lapic problem. Is there any information about lapic available? I don't=20
know what lapic stands for (the l, if apic means=20
AdvancedProgrammableInterruptController) and what it does to generate=20
2kirq/s.

Thanks,

=2DHarry