Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 17:55:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de
Subject:   Re: Port update (jakarta-tomcat) problem

In article <014201c0e96b$9da23640$4011a8c0@wohnheim.uniulm.de>,
Siegbert Baude <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de> wrote:

> Is the cvsup-bin port now obsolete?

It is obsolescent.  I am waiting for the new cvsup and cvsup-devel
packages to appear on the FTP sites.  Once the new packages are
available I will delete the cvsup-bin and cvsupd-bin ports.

> Is the cvsup package, which is mentioned in your workaround, thought
> as a replacement for the cvsup-bin port?

Yes.

> Do they have the same features, purpose,

Yes.

> size,...?

Not the same, but close enough.

> Is it possible, that the users, who are still using cvsup-bin, will face
> problems similar to the jakarta-tomcat one in the future?

Yes, although I surely hope not. :-( Users should upgrade, preferably
to the cvsup-devel port, which has many bug fixes that aren't present
in the other ports.

> And just for my personal interest: What is the problem with the
> cvsup-bin port, that it won't be patched?

It is a binary, and binaries are difficult to patch.  I could
produce an entirely new binary, but there's no point to that since I
have made the cvsup and cvsup-devel packages stand-alone now.

John