Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 17:17:38 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Antuan Avdioukhine <antuan@eltex.spb.ru>
To:        FreeBSD Support <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Adaptec Cogent Quartet network card

Gentlemen,
   Some starnge things happened when I installed Cogent Quartet card
under FreeBSD 2.2.6. This card provides four single-bridged
DEC21140A-based 10/100 TX adapters. After boot all adapters are detected
correctly and become devices de0 to de3. Now only de0 interface connected
to LAN, de1 to de3 are down-ed. But after boot driver reports "link cable
problem", ifconfig reported "no carrier". When I manually change media
from "autosence" to "10baseT/UTP" and then back to "autosence" -- links
restores after "ifconfig de0 up" command. Can anyone comment this
phenomenon?