Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:12:43 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staroffice 5.2 installation under FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE?

Hi Bernie,

> Has anyone figured out how to install Staroffice 5.2 under 4.0-RELEASE?

I have got to a certain point, but am still stuck there.  Here is the
message that I posted to freebsd-questions a while back:

	StarOffice 5.2 has been released by SUN.  For i86 architectures
there are versions for Solaris and for Linux available by download or on
CD from SUN.  There is as yet no FreeBSD port for version 5.2 - the
version in /usr/ports is for 5.1, and has an option for loading from the
CD-ROM.

	I am running FreeBSD 4.0 on a pretty standard Intel box (great
system).  When I attempt to install StarOffice 5.2 from the CD, we find:

1.  The script assumes `test` is in /usr/bin/test, so a link needs to be
made from /bin/test:

		cd /usr/bin
		ln -s /bin/test

2.  The install script does not set the library path correctly.  I solved
this problem by setting up a temporary directory:

		mkdir /tmp/fdir
		cp /cdrom/linux/office52/f_0000 /tmp/fdir
		cd /tmp/fdir
		unzip f_0000
		setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /tmp/fdir

and then run the install program.

3.  The base directory that the installation script chooses is:

		/usr/compat/linux

which is not so crash hot, but this can be moved or relinked after
installation.

4.  Installation proceeds, but dies at the end as the setup program tries
to "register" libary routines.  The log file shows the errors as:

	ERR register component: libctl569li.so : applicat.rdb
	ERR UNO exception (libctl569li.so):

for all of the library files, and the library files are unavailable to
soffice, so it will not run.

	Any ideas?  I remember that problems in 1 and 2 (above) came up
with version 5.1, and we discussed solutions in this forum back then
(August last year?).  However, this "registration" seems a more difficult
problem - I guess the *.rdb file is some database thing.

No-one's come up with anything yet, so I'll repost this to
freebsd-questions in case there's someone who's got further.

> One thing that seemed to help, was mkdir /compat/linux/tmp

I have this file linked to /tmp

	If you find anything else, let's know.

Cheers,

Rob
	Rob Hurle			     rob@coombs.anu.edu.au
	Connect-A			      Tel: +61 2 6247 2397
	PO Box 13			      Fax: +61 2 6248 8905
	Ainslie  ACT  2602		      Mobile: 0417 293 603
	Australia