Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:48:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <nvidican@ipsnetwork.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   manually generating ssh host/key files

How does one manually create these files:

 /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
 /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

sshd asks for them, then craps out because they're not there. A reboot
usually forces them to be created upon startup; but in this particular
system's case a reboot is not warranted, (and really would kill the
`uptime-o-meter`), so I'd like to create them by entering the commands
to create the files as the system would during startup. To further
complicate things, the system is running a 4.1-STABLE snapshot, with
various portions of 4.3-RELEASE; so I'm not even sure if a reboot will
get ssh to work.
   In short; just want to make sshd work from a machine without needing
to reboot to create cert files... need to know how?

--
Nathan Vidican
Nathan@Vidican.com