Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 10:42:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp rate slowdown

I am using user-mode ppp, connected to a host box that is also running
FreeBSD, and it is also using user-mode ppp (host side).  The host side
ppp is about 3 months old, and my ppp is current.  I'm experiencing a
slowdown problem.  When I first bring up ppp, I get the full rate that
the dial up line allows (considering that it's via a compressing modem
running at 28.8k, the async rate at both ends is 57.6k).

Later, after running a longish ftp, if the ftp gets interrupted by
something like mail, so that it has to slow down the transmit rate to
share the line, the ftp rate will not improve from the rate that it had
to slow down to.  This will not improve on later ftp runs (even if those
runs don't need to share the line, or if they are several hours later).
The only way I've found to get the rate back up is to drop the ppp
connection and re-initiate it.

Are there any guesses as to why this might be occurring to me?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).