Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 95 18:13:39 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G Kargl)
Cc:        julian@tfs.com, nate@trout.sri.MT.net, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

> > but if the Makefiles didn't see a reason to update it, then it would
> > be untouched and the same thing would result.
> > what we want is a make rule for X/a -> B/a
> > (i.e. just moving a file)
> > not to mention the trouble we have at the moment with
> > man pages and that #$%^# gzip..
> >

> Are you talking about disk space consumption or the time for
> `make world' to complete because of gzip *.1 etc?

I think he is talking about the auto formating-then-gzipping of man
pages by the man system because it thinks a newly installed man
page which isn't really new is newer than the preformatted copy
because the date is not preserved on the install.

Which begs the questions of:

1)	Why was it installed if the "target" file was the same
	or newer than the source file?

and

2)	If the dependency wasn't checked, why was it installed
	with "install" instead of "cp -p", which would have
	preserved the date and prevented it from appearing to
	need to be updated in the first place?

The header file argument is that because we build the header file
intermediate directory using various source locations for header
files and [incorrectly] do not preserve the date, then we need
to compare with the installed headers because when we installed
then from the intermediate directory, we [again] did not preserve
the date.

The problem being that install is being used to move the files
instead of "cp -p" (or tar or cpio or *whatever*) for absolutely
no good reason, and install without mods *won't* preserve the
dates.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---