Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:10:03 +0200
From:      Ruben de Groot <mail25@bzerk.org>
To:        Dan Rue <drue@therub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache upgrads thrashing certs; index.html.* crud

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 05:39:18PM -0500, Dan Rue typed:
> Hey Fellas,
>
> Whenever I do an apache upgrade - whether it be apache 1.3 or apache 2,
> it always spews all these index.html.language files in my web root that
> I have to go in and remove - but more annoyingly it overwrites my certs
> in /usr/local/etc/apache[2]/ssl.*.  What gives?

To avoid this I allways put the DocumentRoot of a webserver in a
non-default location, e.g. under /home/www. Same goes for the
certificates:

SSLCertificateFile /usr/local/ssl/certs/apache.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/ssl/private/apache.key

cheers,
Ruben