Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:51:30 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Ramsey G. Brenner" <rgbrenner@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login failure for DES encrypted accounts SOLVED

Hi,

>>This suggestion as well as your other with regard to auth.conf seems to
>>only change the encryption method of newly created passwords. On my
>>systems I already have different passwords, ancient DES-encrypted ones
>>and new MD5 ones, which is the method that will be chosen by default
>>nowadays.
>>
>>The problem is, that I was quite happily using both methods until two
>>weeks ago, when DES-encrypted accounts didn't allow logins anymore.

> I created a des account on my system (to play with) and got it to work by
> adding the following to auth.conf (this is the only line which differs from
> your auth.conf):
>
>>crypt_default = blf des
>
> Try adding "crypt_default = md5 des"
>
> Again this is on 4.6.2-RELEASE. I'll probably cvsup this weekend and update it
> to 4.7-STABLE, so let me know if it doesnt work.

Whatever the problem was, it is gone after my new world/kernel from just
now has been rebooted and installed. Mergemaster made no changes at all
and auth.conf still looks like it ever did.

So I really don't know what the problem was, bad cvsup or a bug, which
has been fixed intermittently. Either way, thanks for your help Ramsey,
Erick and whoever fixed the bug. :-)

Ciao
Siegbert