Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:29:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha PC164SX firmware/booting questions

Michael Kennett writes:

 > Related to this question is the size of the IDE disks that are supported
 > by SRM. I've read (on this list) that you can use an old 100Meg drive to
 > boot, and then FreeBSD will install the drivers for the Adaptec etc...
 > However, if I was to buy an IDE drive, it would be a `large' (several Gig)
 > drive -- are these supported for booting (or is the Alpha architecture
 > infected with all of the PeeCee limitations on large disks)?

I'm not sure about the 164sx firmware, but I can tell you that the IDE
versions of the AlphaServer DS10s all ship with these 10GB IDE drives:

ad0: <FUJITSU MPD3108AT/DD-25-04> ATA-4 disk at ata1 as master
ad0: 9541MB (19541088 sectors), 19386 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad0: 16 secs/int, 0 depth queue, UDMA33

Both the SRM & 4.0-current boot fine from those drives.

Cheers,

Drew