Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:03:45 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Nate Lawson <nate@elite.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, davidm@hpl.hp.com
Subject:   Re: floating point exceptions

In the last episode (Apr 26), Sheldon Hearn said:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 00:05:23 MST, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > > Is FreeBSD's behavior correct?  Why or why not?  You can use the
> > > included code snippet to verify that this occurs.
> >
> > FreeBSD has traditionaly violated the IEEE FP standard in this
> > regard. This is fixed in 5.0 and I think in 4.0-STABLE (though I
> > can't remember what file this is in so I can't check.)
>
> Huh?  I'm pretty sure you've got this backwards.  FreeBSD has
> traditionally upheld the standard and we only recently decided to go
> with the flow in 5.0.

No; we held our moral ground against IEEE, until 5.0 when we gave in.
The IEEE standard says "trap nothing".  For most programs, this is the
wrong thing to do, since they are not signal-processing apps or
numerical analysis programs and a divide by zero is a coding error.
I'd rather have my program die on an unexpected divide by zero than
continue with invalid data.

Why should we treat (1.0/0.0) any differently from (1/0)?

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com