Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2006 05:56:04 +0100
From:      Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   nfs/geli stability problems and file corruption

Hi on 3 different servers we had the same pronlem as below.

2 servers 6.1-STABLE and one 6.1-RELEASE security branch.

2 of the servers before hand were running without nfs and geli for
months stable, the 3rd was brand new.

We enabled geli encryption on loopback partitions and real partitions
to encrypt our data, we then mounted some nfs mounts fro debian
servers.

Things would run well for anything from a few days to a few weeks.
Then the server stops responding.

We reboot the server and it fails to boot with an error /etc/fstab
unable to mount filesystem.

The local tech was unable to proceed from there so the boxes were
formatted and data lost.

On one of the servers before it died I did notice nfs stale errors.

What has got me curious is (a) whats causing the crashes or network
hang since the boxes may well have still been responding locally and
(b) what was causing the filesystems not mounting upon reboot.  The
hardware is not the cause I am talking about 3 different servers 2 of
which were running fine for months nad have ran fine since debian has
been put on.

The first 2 servers arent mine and the owners had enough of the
problems, the 3rd server been mine I want to find a solution to run it
on freebsd, I have to pay for reformats so ideally dont want to do
trial and error and having to pay for a reinstall every time.  I did
some googling and it appears nfs on freebsd has its problems, I have
seen PRs sent for nfs not answered and some documents regarding
freebsd nfs having problems with other OS's nfs.

The crashes arent so bad the killer is the unable to mount on the
following reboot, could geli be causing this since this is relatvely
new, whilst gdbe is more established.  Can gdbe be used on loopback
filesystems?

Thanks

Chris