Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2009 22:53:09 +0200
From:      "David Naylor" <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Transparent SOCKS proxy (server side)?

2009/1/6 Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009 10:07:17 David Naylor wrote:

>> > http://www.freshports.org/net/dante/
>>
>> As far as I know dante can only be made "transparent" with the use of
>> client side software (such as the libsocks.so libraries under *nix) and not
>> from the server side (i.e. tunneling the traffic through a SOCKS proxy).
>> The way I think of
>> it is similar to NAT (in the capturing of traffic)?
>>
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> In pf terms: rdr traffic, or use something like this:
> http://bayxao.wordpress.com/2007/03/18/transparent-socks-proxy-client/

The above link only talks about client side solutions.  I could see how rdr
(which I understand to be the same as NAT?) could work, except it needs
to be redirected to a program that then routes the traffic through the socks
server?  I have not been able to find such a program (and the above socks
clients only act as a wrapper for other programs?).

Perhaps a simple program that gets the redirected incoming traffic [like
squid does] but then just connects to the destination server (with a socks
wrapper doing the routing through the socks server)??? Or just a socks
based solution?

David