Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 23:28:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the  Internet"

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Dan Janowski wrote:

> We should conduct a census! Put it on the website, in the FTP banners on
> wcarchive, in the CDROMs.

Well, ya, but the results would rate next to worthless in terms
of statistical validity.  Good demographic studies are pretty
hard to do when you don't know the extent of your population, and
asking people to register isn't going to define it for you.

I did one random sampling of mailing list subscribers (I defined
my population as mailing list subscribers) and sent a small
survey regarding the FreeBSD web site.  The response rate was in
the negihborhood of two to three percent.  Completely useless.
60 to 70 percent is usually considered the bottom end of
acceptable in survey research.  I got much more data from a form
on the website, but the validity of that data is highly
questionable for lots of reasons outlined in any survey research
methods textbook.

BUT, a good demographic study of FreeBSD users would be extremely
valuable to have...so all you statistics junkies, start thinking
of a way to come up with a *representative* sample the user
population.

-john