Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 2009 01:06:43 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Sandra Kachelmann <s.kachelmann@googlemail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remove BUILD_DEPENDS automatically after install

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:44:04PM +0100, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
> Is there a reason why BUILD_DEPENDS aren't being removed after a port
> has been installed and if no other installed port depends on it?

How do you know that the user does not want that port installed?
And what if the user will install 20 other ports afterwards - all of which
is that same port as a BUILD_DEPENDS - should that port be
installed/deinstalled each and every time?

(Personally I would be *very* annoyed if, for example, libtool or
automake/autoconf would be reinstalled every time I installed a port which
had one of them as a build-time dependency.  There are *lots* of ports which
have one of them in BUILD_DEPENDS, but few if any that has them as
RUN_DEPENDS.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson