Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:11:48 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        bwithrow@engeast.BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   FreeBSD/VMWare setup for dummies?

I'm sorry, but I'm floundering like a dying mackerel.

I've got an existing FBSD 4.0Rel/Nt4 multiboot setup that I'm
trying to configure VMWare for.  I've read the Hints.FreeBSD
and I've scanned through a substantial part of the mailing list
archives, and while I've got a glimmer of what is required--well--
I must be a dummy...

seems to be working, but I can't configure a working setup.  I'm
using vmware2-2.0.2.621.

Questions:

 1) When using the configuration wizard, I'm asked for a "Disk type
setting".  What am I supposed to do here for an *existing* NT partition?
Remember, I'm a dummy, so give me simple, step-by-step instructions!  ;-)

  a) What I did was select "existing physical disk".
  b) What I get is an error dialog saying "/dev/hdx -- not present".

 2) I gather that there is a ".hda" file you may need to construct (even
though nothing in Hints.FreeBSD says anything about a ".hda" file.  Remember:
I'm a dummy.)  How do you create that file *before* you have a config?
Or what do you do instead?  Symlink?

 3) I've seen all kinds of cryptic comments (at least cryptic to me; remember:
I'm a dummy) about configuring things for max performance.  Could someone
list them out for me in painfully obvious plainness?

 4) I see a recommendation to use /etc/fbtab to control access to devices,
rather than being root.  I log in using XDM started via
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/xdm.sh.

  a) What devices would a dummy want to use fbtab for?
  b) What device would a dummy use as the index when XDM is started this way?

Please respond to me directly.

Thanks!
--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 288 8256)