Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:53:27 +0400
From:      "Oleg Semyonov" <os@ktpk.dp.ua>
To:        "Eivind Eklund" <eivind@yes.no>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   MTU? (Re: FreeBSD+natd = tcp connection problems)

Eivind, you wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 03:59:17PM +0400, Oleg Semyonov wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>>    I have some problems with tcp connections to some servers
>> (ftp, irc and some others). My network configuration is quite
>> simple: FreeBSD box is connected via slip (sl0) to IP provider
>> (BSDI 2.1) and via NIC (de0) - to LAN (Win95/NT workstations).
>> I have one real IP for FreeBSD box and private network
>> 192.168.0.* for LAN. Natd is used for NAT, and all was ok, but...
>>
>> PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
>>
>>   When I trying to ftp to some servers from FreeBSD, in some
>> cases I can enter login/password, and then see only first
>> 230-
>> line, and connection hangs. When using password in form of
>> -user@ (disable that 230- messages) - all ok. For example,
>> connect to ftp.kiae.su and ftp.hp.com was failed, connect
>> to ftp.microsoft.com - ok.
>>    Then I found that we are using different MTU values on
>> both sides of slip link (308 by defaul on BSDI, 507 by default
>> on FreeBSD). I'm setting my side to 308. All ok, ftp with no
>> problems. But only from FreeBSD box. Workstations from LAN via
>> natd cannot ftp with same problem: 230- and stop. Workstations
>> on LAN and de0 interface on FreeBSD are using MTU=1500.
>>    Next stage was to replace slip by ppp with mtu=1500. Effect
>> was same: dropped connections from FreeBSD (and LAN too). Changing
>> ppp0 MTU to 296-308 solves problem, but for FreeBSD box only.
>> LAN cannot ftp to such servers. Irc connections from LAN hangs
>> in same manner.
>>
>> What is the reason and what can I do? Does anybody help me?
>
>This belongs in FreeBSD-questions - I've moved it there.
>
>I also believe the problem is probably your FTP clients rather than
>the NATD code, but I can't guarantee this.  natd is somewhat dependent
>on how that packets are constructed, but this shouldn't matter at
>_that_ stage - only when you do an LS or GET.
>
>Eivind.

Nope! Sure. Is original FreeBSD's ftp client bad or non-tested?
But it don't work too with 1500 mtu in my case. And without natd
and ipfw in single client mode (single IP address) I have troubles
with relatively large MTU size (>308). Seems it is not a natd-related
problem, but some packet assembly/disassembly effects with my OS pair:
FreeBSD + BSDI 2.1. Maybe it is a problem of remote side? But how can
I check and fix it?

OS