Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:48:45 -0500
From:      daniel <danstemporaryaccount@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL "forgot" some of my data!

On Thursday 08 December 2005 18:29, Joao Barros wrote:
> On 12/8/05, daniel <danstemporaryaccount@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > Our company has a few very large databases (>9gb) which required a shut
> > down,
> >
> >   mysql> SELECT * FROM campaigns LIMIT 0;
> >   ERROR 1017 at line 1: Can't find file: 'campaigns.MYI' (errno: 2)
>
> Was that using MyISAM or InnoDB ?

Both tables lost were MyISAM, but ther were also a number of other MyISAM
tables that remained seemingly untouched.

> > So my questions to you, deal list are:
> >
> >   1. Should mysqladmin shutdown take this long?
> >     a. Is this normal even with a load of 0.00?
>
> I'd say no.... on a Power5 with 8ish cpus and a load of 15 on a 34GB
> database I could stop it almost instantly using normal shutdown
> procedure.

Good to know, but what then is the best idea when a shutdown _is_ taking so
long?

> >   2. Is this the best way to shut down a database of this size?
>
> Is there a different way per size? Guess not ;)
>
> >   3. What is most likely to be the cause of the data loss?
>
> Were you using MyISAM of InnoDB? I had this issue after a restart with
> the only table using MyISAM.

My chief concern is that this should never happen again and at this stage I'm
still not sure how to prevent it.  Are you saying InnoDB is a more stable
format and recommending that we should switch everything to this format?

Right now we're using MySQL 4.0.x but we're in the process of migrating to 4.1
for the next version of the project.  Would 5.0 be a better choice
considering that this is a near rewrite?

Thanks for all the advice and sorry for the late reply.  Christmas time has
been a stressful one for me ;-)

--
we do not see things as they are.  we see them as we are
  - anais nin