Date:      Thu, 3 Mar 2011 21:03:16 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        Redd Vinylene <reddvinylene@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel compiling problems

>Heya!
>
>Anybody know what's wrong with this?
>
>## make buildworld buildkernel KERNCONF=NINJA

>/usr/src/sys/kern/sysv_msg.c:163: error: invalid application of 'sizeof' to
>incomplete type 'struct freebsd7_msgctl_args

This error message is suggestive. ;)

>options COMPAT_FREEBSD4
>
>options COMPAT_FREEBSD5
>
>options COMPAT_FREEBSD6

Upgrading from 7.x to 8.x, eh?  But I think you forgot to update parts
of your kernel config.  From
src/sys/conf/NOTES:

"Note that as a general rule, COMPAT_FREEBSD<n> depends on
COMPAT_FREEBSD<n+1>, COMPAT_FREEBSD<n+2>, etc."

... up until m-1, where m is the FreeBSD version you are building.  So
if you have COMPAT_FREEBSD[456], you need COMPAT_FREEBSD7 as well.
(When running 7.x, you didn't need it, of course.)

b.