Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:02:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        youlgok@attglobal.net
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: POP client

>Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 09:40:56 -0500
>From: youlgok@attglobal.net
>Sender: owner-freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG

[Copying -newbies on my reply manually, despite the explicit request (in
the Reply-To:) to send the reply *only* to youlgok@attglobal.net -- dhw]

>Please recommend me a good POP client except Netscape Messenger.

Given that this is a FreeBSD-oriented list, I'd recommend fetchmail.

Please bear in mind, though, that people often (ab)use POP to handle
mail intended for multiple recipients from a given mailbox, and such an
exercise is doomed to merely differing degrees of failure:  POP wasn't
designed to do that, and there exist recipient address combinations
where it cannot work properly.  And since the POP server doesn't choose
the recipient addresses (the message originator does), the best the
administrator of the POP server can do is mitigate the failure.

Cheers,
david (only barely avoiding going into rant mode re: POP)
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915