Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:17:01 -0500
From:      Ross West <westr@connection.ca>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BL460 G6 support

CWF> Does anybody know if there FreeBSD support forthcoming for the
CWF> current BL460 generation, or has FreeBSD written off HPs blade
CWF> server as insignificant?

I'm currently running FreeBSD 7/8 on BL460 (G1) right now - Using the
Qlogic fiber channel cards + the NC373i gigabit cards. Works with
generic kernel on 8.0 nicely.

If you've got different mezzanine cards planned, check to make sure
their chipsets have drivers first!

If you mean official HP support - then you're asking the wrong place,
as it's up the HP, not Freebsd. And last I heard HP isn't offering
official support for BSD any time soon, only Redhat + SLES Linux.

I don't believe Freebsd offers official support for any platform.
There are probably consulting places that will gladly help out though!

CWF> I helped myself buying BL465 G6 for the moment, but that window
CWF> apparently is closing fast, since I'm told next the generation
CWF> with the dreaded 10Gig cards is only months away.

There was someone who has written a driver for the NC532i (broadcom
57711 10Ge chipset that comes with the BL460-G6) but wanted to do
more testing - see:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg30514.html

Cheers,
  R.