Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 19:31:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drive Mirroring

Would a software RAID implementation be able to cope with having a drive
removed?  When the drive is reconnected it should simply take care of
bringing it up to date or completely remaking it from the current master.
There is no reason that this should not be a standard feature, as SCSI
disks die all the time. I want to have a solution where the probability of
total failure is reduced exponentially. Namely you can pull off and insert
drives as needed without having to think about it, a total no-brainer for
the kind of people who might be using these systems.  Now I looked at some
adaptec SCSI adapters that are supposed to do this in hardware, but I
didn't really feel like buying a $900 scsi adapter to see if it properly
functions with freebsd.  Checksums should be kept on CCD blocks to insure
that the contents of a corrupted drive are not being mirrored over.  I
keep dat tapes like everyone else, but have you ever tried restoring a
completely wiped system off of a dat tape?  Especially when the drive is
remote over an ethernet?  You end up having to install enough of a system
so that you can do the recovery.  I want to stack 3 triple redundant SCSI
drives and be able to smash two of them with a sledge hammer without a
system glitch (I'll watch out for pass through cables).