Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:51:27 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help with rezise freebsd slice

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:57:52 -0800 (PST)
Dino Vliet <dino_vliet@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I_m running FreeBSD 4.8 on my laptop together with
> win98 and I am pleased with the OS as from day 1.
> However, I ran out of disk space when installing
> gnucash. Because my FreeBSD slice is not too big, I
> resized my win98 partition and now I have 1.5 GB
> before the FreeBSD slice free available.
> I wanted to make FreeBSD resize a partition _on the
> fly_ but after looking at some Internet pages I found,
> it seems that won_t work.
>
> So now, I came up with this marvelous idea, to mount
> my win98 partition in freebsd.

This can be done easly.

> Move the /usr directory to that partition and then
> reinstall freebsd 4.9!!

fat32 does not support the rwx and flags attributes of a unix filesysyem
among other things, so I sugest to do a tar archive of usr (eventualy
compressed with gzip/bzip2) end restore from there.

> After that I want to get rid of the /usr directory of
> the 4.9 installation and restore the original 4.8
> (which would then be on my windows partition)
> directory on it. In that way I don_t have to reinstall
> my applications (postgresql, R, diablo-jdk and weak
> etc).

If you fallow the tar path, *it might* work, but I think you will get I
a lot of trubles due to the differeces betweend 4.8 and 4.8; trubles
like not booting or panics to app not working right dumping core, etc.

> This sounds too good to be true and does anyone know
> if this will work?
> What are the drawbacks? Can I do something else to
> resize my /usr directory ? I only want to resize my
> FreeBSD slice and make the /usr directory bigger. Any
> help or comments on this issue is welcome because I
> have to do something

If you have space on the disk why don't you make a slice on andsymlink a
part of usr (ex.: you home) to the new slice ?

> Look at my disk :
> Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s3a   984M   132M   774M    15%    /

root is way to big, about typicaly 100M should be enough and to be sure
go till 250, but momre is a waste of space. You do have a symlink for
tmp to /var/tmp or something ?

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user