Date:      Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:57:10 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/procmail Makefile

Am 30.08.2011 14:27, schrieb Kurt Jaeger:
> [maildrop]
>>> - Can it use the 700+ lines long .procmailrc I have running
>>>   in a criticial application or do I have to migrate that ?
>>
>> You'd have to migrate that.
>
> That's what I assumed.
>
>> Bottom line: the sooner we get rid from procmail the better.
>
> There are many other applications that have issues, as well.
>
> It's already a lot of work just to keep up with the bug-de-jour
> and the upgrade-de-jour and doing it all in parallel does
> not scale very well.
>
> Therefore, one has to choose what one can work on.
>
> If the fbsd ports drop procmail, it will just add more on
> my plate that I have to do myself. Similar to many other
> apps and ports and you-name-it.
>
> While I dislike bitrot like anyone else, I have an issue with
> the dropping of ports in general, because that will not scale.

I understand that keeping unchanging software can sometimes be
necessary, if you're working around its quirks.

At the same time I'd like to discourage new installations of dead
software so that it disappears over time, rather than haunt fresh systems.

How about if we added a new tag "OBSOLESCENT" or so that permits
building the software only if it's already installed but refuses new
installations?  Of course there could be a switch to override that, like
TRYBROKEN that can override BROKEN= tags.

I'm not sure if it's feasible for packages (but OBSOLESCENT could imply
"do not package") but for ports it would be possible.