Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:23:36 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird reboots from bootmgr or loader

Lukas Ertl wrote this message on Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 19:09 +0200:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Florian Smeets wrote:
>
> > I got a really anoying Problem today. 3 different boxes started to reboot
> > when i hit enter at the bootmgr, or when i don't hit enter and wait for it
> > to boot FreeBSD it reboots when the loader should apear. I can see that it
> > prints out some numbers but its to fast to recognise anything. I did not
> > mess with the disk configuration on any of the boxes. I only rebuild world
> > and kernel as usual every few days. They all had sources from 3rd or 4th
> > of august. I don't have my serial cable handy i'll try to get it back this
>
> I saw _exactly_ the same problem on one of my boxes today: it was
> shutdowned correctly yesterday, and today it wouldn't boot, but panic
> right after boot0. The only thing I could see were some hex numbers and
> "BTX halted" for a split second, then immediately reboot. It's a -current
> box from Sunday evening CEST.
>
> I managed to fix it by booting from floppies and running the Fixit floppy,
> writing a new disklabel, which seems to have become corrupted somehow.

Are you running -current w/ a kernel from the last 24 hrs?  (After phk's
mass swap check in?)  If so, make sure your swap isn't at the start of
your disk.  If it is, phk was nice enough to only blow away your boot
blocks instead of your disk label too. :)  Swap currently uses all but
the first page (4k on i386).

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579