Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:41:30 -0800
From:      Rob <europa100@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flash plugin in 6.0 / realplayer & fontconfig

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:12:07 -0900
Beecher Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 19 December 2005 07:41 am, dick hoogendijk wrote:

> > > That was a typo, read the followup I sent immediately following the
> > > first message. Secondly putting plugins in browser_linux_plugins does
> > > break firefox and mozilla. I would call that broken where I come from.
> > > Users should not have to move things that were installed in the wrong
> > > place. That's the job of the port.
> >
> > You were very quick with your correction of the typo. Faster than some
> > of us read their mails ;-)
> > Secondly, I totally agree to the statement that the port is "broken"
> > You have too much to manually correct.
> > At the time I was not aware of the facts and lost quite some time
> > finding out. If you know, it's not that kind of a deal.
>
> Even though I'm not a programmer, I'm looking into fixing that port. I've
> tried contacting the maintainer and didn't get any response. If I manage to
> get it working I'll file a PR. The linuxpluginwrapper has been broken since
> the last upgrade, acroread way before that and it took me many hours to find
> all the fixes necessary (thank you everyone who helped me with that issue).
> If nothing else, I'll write all those changes into a script which will do it
> automatically. I would think this would be a priority if FreeBSD is going to
> be a viable desktop alternative. It's exactly this kind of situation that
> causes new users to give up and go with the penguin, or worse go back to
> micro$oft. I can't even tell someone to read the documentation, because there
> isn't any. These fixes were scattered throughout many email threads that span
> many months.
>
> If anyone needs a copy of my work-around it can be found at:
>
> http://akparadise.byethost33.com/freebsd/linuxpluginwrapper_how_to.txt
>
> Just my .02
>
> Beech

I can sympathize about these linux program problems.  I want to be
able to listen to Real Audio streams, but as it is now I have to boot
into Windows to do it.

The linux-realplayer won't start because it can't find any fonts and
it tells me to fix fontconfig.  I never had problems with fonts before
fontconfig came into being.  I really have no idea why it exists.

Moreover, I have no interest in learning XML, then cutting and pasting
various config files together out of what little documentation exists
for fontconfig.  The documentation is so poor that I have no idea what
I am doing anyway.   Searches on Google and the mailing lists were no
help either.

It is very frustrating.  I concur that some of these programs are just
not desktop ready.  At this rate I am never going to be able to get rid
of XP on my laptop.

Rob.