Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 12:49:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      The Utz Family <utz@serv.net>
To:        "Zach N. Heilig" <znh@thequest.net>
Cc:        Jay Sachs <jsachs@iclick.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: es1370 strangeness: sample leftovers

OTOH this sounds like the buffer isnt gettting free()'ed and malloc()'ed
for the new sound.

this is a reasonable speedup. having to redo the allocation everytime you
want to emit a sample woudl be sub-optimal.

so, then , assuming it's *supposed* to work that way then it seems likely
that the maintainer has either not added an 'end of sample' token to read
up to, or they are failing to recognize the token when they get to it.

they may also be doing bulk reads that read the buffer in whole increments
and the last read is picking up more data then was actually in the current
sound, thus you get the longer remainder. this still pertains to finding
and responding appropriately to an 'end of sample token'

all of this rumination is assuming that the later sound is shorter than
the previous sound, if that isnt the case then my entire theory is hosed.
:-)

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Zach N. Heilig wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 10:17:39PM -0500, Jay Sachs wrote:
> > Ever since I got any sound out of my SBPCI128 (thank you!), up through
> > -STABLE as of last night, if I play an audio file (eg .au, .wav), via
> > any means (e.g. wmsound, cat file.au > /dev/audio) there appears to be
> > about a 1/4 second "leftover" of digitized sound that comes in right
> > after the audio sample is done. It's definitely recognizable as leftover
> > from a recently played sample.  Any clues?
>
> I have one if these, but I use -current instead of -stable.  I have noticed
> this problem, I worked around it by adding one second of silence before
> and after a sound clip (what gets played extra at the end seems to be
> exactly what is missing at the beginning without padding with silence).
>
> Also, when recording from the sound card, there will be a random length
> of silence before the actual recording starts.

hmm. no inspiration here, other than it's a ring buffer and the offset is
screwed up, but i am just blathering here......