Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2014 18:50:29 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: deprecation of nve(4) in 10-STABLE and removal from 11-CURRENT

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:
> Best avoid the obscure word `Deprecated' in manuals:
>   It's not common/ plain English.  Maybe a geek import, or USA
>   dialect ?  It's not easily internationaly understood English.
>   Best make manuals easier for non native English speakers (& native
>   English too ;-).  I am British born & bred, whether in English
>   speaking circles in UK or Germany I never hear or read 'deprecated'
>   unless its in BSD context.  Few native English speakers I know will be
>   immediately sure of the meaning, it's too obscure.

As another Briton this surprises me:
The word "deprecate" has a clear and specific meaning in all
computing, especially in standards, release notes and documentation.
It is from latin and is the same base word in all romance languages.
It is definitely in common usage in the UK, I would not hesitate to
use it any conversation with anyone and expect them to understand its
meaning.

To my ear there is no clearer word to use for this purpose.

Cheers

Tom