Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 13:42:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Adam Ulmer <ulmer@ulmer.iserver.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Mr. M" <mistrM@gtemail.net>
Subject:   Give credit where credit is due

Linux came from Linus Torvalds.  FreeBSD came from BSD which came from
Berkeley State's CS dept.  Granted, GNU and FSF have been mighty helpful,
but if RMS were the only one to support GNU/FSF then what?  The answer is
that *WE* make linux/*BSD possible.  Credit belongs to the community that
sustains the waves long after a gentle wind starts them.  Credit also goes
those that channel and support the waves.

[Funny comicstrip that gives a history, of sorts.]

http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/98nov/19981128.html

Adam