Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 1996 10:36:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        davidwei@ssc.samsung.co.kr
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD INSTALLATION

David wei writes:
> grog@lemis.de wrote:
>>
>> David wei writes:
>>>
>>> HOW COULD I GET INFORMATION OR FAQ ABOUT INSTALLATION. THE INSTALLATION
>>> GUIDE IS NOT ENOUGH TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM.
>>
>> FIRST, LOCATE THE 'CAPS LOCK' KEY.  PRESS IT.  Aaah, that's better,
>> isn't it?
>>
>>> I USE FTP TO INSTALL THE SYSTEM, BUT IT HANGS AFTER 10MB TRANSFERRING. I
>>> NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.
>>
>> Can you describe your ftp situation?  My recollection of the
>> Transpacific Internet connections to Korea suggest that this is not an
>> option.  If you're doing it locally, it's probably not that problem.
>
> Nice to meet you through email and thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

> I first downloaded an boot image disk, then used it to boot up to the
> installation manu.
>
> It was FTP mode installation that downloads from a mirror site in
> Australia. It is a local site nearest to me because I am in Sydney, not
> in Korea.

I see.  Your mail ID says Korea, of course.

> I tried many times and it always hung up after a while, for example
> after 5mb data transferring or 10mb, or more or less. When I tried to
> quit, it asked if I really want to discard the installation process.
>
> Once I left the computer connection overnight, but it stayed at the same
> point with no change.

This still sounds like link problems.  FTP doesn't put up with bad
lines very well, and it can relatively easily time out on large
transfers.  You have a number of options:

1.  Buy the CD-ROM (info@cdrom.com).  That will save you lots of
    trouble, and it includes far more stuff than you would ever be
    able to download, even if your link is good and fast.

2.  Download the files individually, and then do a local install.
    You'll probably still get the ftp hangs, since I don't think they
    have anything to do with the installation process, but you can
    restart ftp (with the 'reget' command, which continues on a file
    where it aborted) and continue.  To judge by your description,
    this will be painful.

3.  Talk to the sysadmin at the mirror site and get a tape from him.
    This is up to him, of course.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Greg