Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 14:42:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@cs.rice.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random dives out of make world

I once had a "make world" crash because my own PRINTER environ
variable was being passed on to root's environ in su.  Fortunately,
it was relatively easy to spot the problem because the name of my
printer was showing up in the make commands and it clearly didn't
belong there.  That's when I learned about "su -l".

The point is that there are many things that can affect a kernel or
world build that aren't in the sources.  Root's shell, path, aliases,
environment, /etc/make.conf can all have an effect, not to mention
hardware and bios settings.

Mark Krentel
Rice University