Date:      Fri, 7 May 2010 17:20:23 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Xorg on Intel Q35 stuck in drmlk2 when unlocking screen with xscreensaver

Hi!

It's been a while I've been witnessing the problem described in the
subject.

I have waited for the Xorg upgrade before reporting, but it's still
there with the latest Xorg installed.
On this machine (HP DC7800) with an Intel G35 controller sometimes(not
always, but quite often)if I have xscreensaver active locking the
screen, when I give some input to unlock it the xscreensaver hack
freezes in the STOP state, Xorg stays in the drmlk2 state and I can't do
anything on the screen(the password widnows does not appear and I can't
switch to any other VT).

The PC is working anyway, I usually solve this by getting in the machine
via ssh, identify the xscreensaver hack pid and send a TERM signal to
it. This usually solves the problem, the password windows immediately
shows up and I can go on working.

I have noticed that this happens very rarely if ever if the input I give
to unlock the screen comes from the keyboard(I've taken the habit to
unlock the screen using the left control key), while the lockup is
almost sure if I move the mouse.

I've also observer this to happen exclusively when GL hacks are being
used by xscreensaver. I have not made specific tests, but I can't recall
the problem ever happening when a simple 2D hack is running.

Is this some locking problem in DRM? Is the information I provided
useful? If someone tells me where to look I can investigate this
better. I'm available for any further information needed and I can test
patches.

Anyway Work with Xorg and the drm system is giving grat results. 3D
acceleration has been bgetting better and better, so I take this chance
to thank all the developers doing this hard and tedious work, and also
all the people who have contributed keeping Xorg ports updated!

Thank you all! And Thank you in advance for any suggestions about this
problem.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>