Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2005 08:01:16 -0600
From:      Ken Gunderson <kgunders@teamcool.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: workstation mobo

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:16:52 +1000
• • <googl3meister@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/13/05, Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 08:58:23AM -0600, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > > Greets All:
> > >
> > > I'm liking these amd opteron servers so much that I am considering
> > > building an amd based workstationn.  Assumed it would be Athalon based
> > > but in searching archives I note that some folks seem to prefer the
> > > opterons for workstation use. Perhaps to some degree in reaction
> > > to the "chipset mess".  I'm not averse to spending a bit more for the
> > > opteron system but it seems to me the Opteron's CPU heatsink/fan might
> > > be a bit noisy for workstation use.  And I have buddies shouting in my
> > > ear to "stick w/ Intel" for workstation.  But then I also know others
> > > who run AMD for their desktop machines.  Any recommends based on current
> > > state of affairs in the ADM hardware world?
> >
> > I just got a new box with an Asus A8V Deluxe board (VIA K8T800 Pro,
> > Socket 939), and so far everything seems to be working.  The only
> > unusual thing i had to do for FreeBSD (5.4-R) was adding a patch
> > to the sk nic driver (see other thread.)
> >

> Update on ASUS A8V Deluxe for archives
>
> I installed 5.4-RELEASE about April (2005) and track 5-Stable on that
> hardware straight from CVS - never had a prob with sk0 yet, it's
> worked since day one with no boot time errors.

Thanks for the input.  My short list is two VIA KT890 based boards:

- Abit AX8v2.0
- Asus A8-E SE

I've had good history w/both of these mobo makers but the Asus gets a
an extra plus in the support department since I can usually find bios
updates etc. on their site w/a bit less digging...;-)

 --
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?