Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:00:23 +0530
From:      "Khuzaima A. Lakdawala" <klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serial port permissions

I have an application which uses the serial port. It works fine when run by root but if run by any other user it complains about the port being "in use".

The permissions of the device in question are:

crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 129 Aug 22 10:13 /dev/cuaa1

Adding the non-root user to the "dialer" group (by editing /etc/group) did not help.

What do I need to do to make the serial port available to an application run by a non-root user?

Please be kind enough to CC your replies to me since I am not a list subscriber.

Thanks and regards,
Khuzaima