Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 01:14:32 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   modifying package files to alter dependencies?

I have several newer packages on my system that are
not seen as valid when I try to add another package
that requires earlier versions of these dependencies.
(I hope that makes sense to everyone).

I'd like to know how I can edit a package file so as
to modify the dependencies.  I've had a crack at it
but haven't been able to get it to work.  Thi si what
I tried:

The package files are in .tgz format.  I'm asuming
this means gzip tarred?
first I copy the package to a seperate tempory
directory.  I then gunzip it so I am left with a .tar
file.
I then 'tar -xvf package.tar' to extract the tar
archive.
I've then gone into the file called +CONTENTS that has
the dependencies in it and made my modifications.  I
then saved the +CONTENTS file and did thge following
(after deleting the existing package.tar file)
'tar -cvf package.tar ./*'

This resulted in a tar file.  I have extracted it to
see if it loks as it should, and to me it does.
I then gzipped the package.tar file like so:
'gzip package.tar'

I then renamed the resulting gzipped file to
'package.tgz'.
I then tried using pkg_add on this file but it
complains that it can't find the +CONTENTS file.
I have gunzipped and 'tar -xvf'ed this file and the
+CONTENTS file certainly is there.

Can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to do this?

Thanks.