Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:12:03 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do i change my windows manager?

Someone, quite probably Bsd Neophyte, once wrote:
>i've installed hackedbox through the ports... but i'm having problems
>trying to get it to load instead of twm(?).
>
>i've tried reading the handbook, but that didn't help me understand what
>to do with the .xinit file... and the xfree86 site was of even less help
>with it's documentation that's not expecially good for a newbie.
>
>can anyone help?

I've used the following two lines for my .xsession before and it worked
okay, .xinitrc accepts the same format:

#!/bin/sh
exec hackedbox

You use "exec" on the second line as it then exits the script and saves
resources, then you just need to know the name of the executable that
starts your window manager.

Kevin
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk