Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:39:01 -0800
From:      "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   GBDE automation scripts?

I am writing a section for the Handbook on how to use gbde. Currently,
using gbde is a rather manual process. Each time a host reboots, the
admin needs to attach the gbde device(s), enter any required
passphrases, manually fsck the partition, and mount it.

I suspect some subscribers to this mailing list have scripts in place to
at least partially automate the process. If you have such a script,
could you please get in touch with me for inclusion of the script in the
Handbook?

What I am looking for is something along the following lines:

At the low end: a script that takes a list of gbde-encrypted file
systems stored in an fstab-like file that contains the names of the gbde
lock files together with their ultimate mount points. Think of this file
as an /etc/fstab.gbde. The script then prompts the admin for the
required passphrases, and completes the remainder of the tasks though
mounting the attached partitions. For simplicity, the script could
assume that the gbde lock files are all stored in /etc/gbde/ and are
named with the name of the underlying device.

At the not quite so low end: same as above, but the script will try an
admin-provided passphrase on all gbde devices, only asking the admin to
provide additional passphrases if the decryption does not yield a file
system that mount knows about. Rationale: Few will use 4 passphrases to
encrypt /aux1 through /aux4 and the user probably doesn't want to be
prompted multiple times, once for each device, to enter the same
passphrase multiple times.

Much better user experience: extend fstab(5) to hold the information
that would under the earlier scenarios have been stored in
/etc/fstab.gbde. Of course the gbde devices listed in /etc/fstab should
not be auto-mounted during boot. Then extend mount with an argument to
mount encrypted partitions based on the information stored in
/etc/fstab, asking the user for a passphrase as needed. Hey, one can
hope. ;)

Either way, if you have any scripts that do even part of what I am
describing, please get in touch with time.

Thanks,
--Lucky