Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 11:48:19 +0000
From:      Neil Brendan Clark <nbc@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re IDE/eIDE issues

>No, this is where you are wrong..
>it would work
>as long as the 'a' subdivision of the FBSD slice was below Cyl 1024
>the rest doesn't matter..

Either my computer is a fussy bugger or I took too much LDS in the seventies ;-)I tried it; it seems a fairly obvious thing to do, after all, and it did not
work. I recall a boot message saying something like "partition is out of
reach of BIOS", whereas if it is completely out of reach of the BIOS
you get a "missing operating system message", or something like that.

Either way, it most definately utterly sure-as-the-sun-rises-in-the-morning
did not work. Perhaps having two other OS's on the disk confused the issue;
perhaps, as I say, my machine is fussy (it is certainly a bit strange), but
it didn't work. Maybe it's my BIOS, maybe it's because I live in Glasgow town,
maybe it's because of latent black magic, but that's what happened.

My machine is a Viglen Genie Professional Pentium 75 with 1Gig IDE, 2099
cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors, BTW.

Neil