Date:      Thu, 09 May 2002 12:24:46 -0700
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can anyone suggest what needs fixing /usr/src/contrib/pnpinfo.c

> > > interesting assertion. it implies that there is a mechanism for dumping
> > > the pnp device 'facts' to the screen that i am heretofore unaware of.
> >
> > acpidump.
>
> not in 4.5. will it be in 4.6? does it support non-ACPI machines?

No.  No.

> legacy support makes freebsd more *accessible*. esp in poorer economies
> that really *need* to have access to FreeBSD on ancient hardware so that
> they can spend their money on food and medicine and stuff....

Legacy support was typically implemented when it wasn't "legacy".
Continuing work on hardware that's been obsoleted when we don't have the
time and resources to keep up with the pace of newer developments simply
guarantees that we will be left further and further behind.

 = Mike

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not