Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:42:49 -0400
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Mindaugas" <mindaugas77@delfi.lt>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: about kernel and /boot/defaults/loader.conf

 You stated  "Now I downloaded FreeBSD 4.6"

You are not clear about what you mean by this statement.

If you mean you cvsup'ed 4.6 and followed the instructions you should
have already recompiled your kernel source.

If you mean you FTPed the 4.5 min.iso and burned a cdrom from which you
 installed a new clean virgin FBSD system, then yes you have to compile
 your saved old kernel source to create an kernel binary to run from.